Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Zombieland 5K

The first rule of Zombieland is you do not talk about Zombieland. Wait, no, it's Cardio. I have been striving to improve mine by running on elliptical machines and sometimes treadmills for the last 18 months - occasionally venturing out onto the streets with others to suck wind before being Left 4 Dead (2) -that's me on the right. Outside today with Chris and his GPS watch I did a full 5K and it really felt like a milestone.

Running is hard, there is no coasting. The ground beats my body and joints, and my lungs feel like clenched fists. I'm at the edge of anaerobic after the first three blocks, still.

Mental toughness is harder. I am striving to catch my second wind now because I have a long way to go and a lot to do - when the zombies come I must be ready.

4 comments:

Jared said...

Super impressive. Like I have always said it is far more impressive to go from being a non runner to a 5k than it is to go from a 5k runner to a marathon. You have come a long way baby.

queasyfish said...

Thanks Jared. Are you thinking of joining my quest?

Jared said...

John in my mind I am always sincerely motivated and ready to join your quest. It is this large pile of excuses that seem to always get in the way. That being said I would love to run a 5k fun run thing with you some day. I find it way easier to run a 5k in a race situation. With all the other people moving around you at about your same pace I feel like a leaf floating effortlessness down a river.

queasyfish said...

A root beer river? - sure, that could be fun. My quest isn't to participate in fun runs, or even to be a runner at all though. It's to challenge myself and to rediscover a healthier way to live. I "like" running, because it's hard.