Friday, May 14, 2010


Wow. Well I've increased my karma tonight.

Several days ago when I was watering I noticed a ripped paper grocery bag seemingly wedged between my car and the curb. It wasn't blowing away so I walked over to look at it. It contained about twenty super 8 movie rolls, and a paper envelope with four printed pictures in it. Usually stuff blowing into our yard belongs to the neighbors, but they were out so I put it on the porch to deal later.

A couple times during the week I poked at it. They're youth hockey pictures, full team and solo coaches. They all look happy. They're good pictures for what they are. The Target print date on the back says late March of this year. The envelope says "Jack Beason". The tapes are vintage though and they all have titles like "hockey - Andy" and "hockey - a good one" and "X-mas 1980" and "My Fair Lady - Emily 1979".

Our hispanic neighbors aren't the hockey type really though.

I can see some clues. The rink is clearly the "Huskies" where-ever it is. There are radio station sponsor adds on the rink walls - KOWZ.

Finally Friday, time to investigate... Google says the radio station is Owatonna. Huskies could be Rochester. Youth hockey there has a fair amount of picture results but nothing that color with that crazy bird-fire-thing logo, what the hell is that? Then other dead ends. Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. I get out the magnifying glass. Is "Storm" a team name or an equipment manufacturer? Doesn't help. No Jack Beason anywhere.

Finally get back to a basic search of "Storm" and "Huskies". Find the 2010 playoff results of a youth hockey team, the Minneapolis Storm actually who played their games at the Rochester Huskies arena. Link to the team page works. Click the coaches button and I'm looking at pictures from the same series that I'm holding in my hand. I've found him. I sent the same email to each of the three guys pictured and the woman not, through the interface's we're not showing you their email address functionality.

I congratulate myself and go out to the garage for a beer. Surfing around for awhile... phone rings. It's Coach Emily. I soon discover, the same Emily that was it My Fair Lady. She's the webmaster too. Told her about my search, and heard the sadness of her car-breaking tragedy, now averted. What did she say, Hiawatha and 54th? She was kind of choking up at points, I was too actually. Points go to, John.

2 comments:

queasyfish said...

Well she and her husband came today, early. They were nice, cool. They were sad to discover that we did not have all of the tapes they lost. Less than half it sounded like. That's too bad. I'll ask my nose-y community watch neighbor if she knows of anything, she will tell the cops at least, if they're found any super-8 tapes lately...

queasyfish said...

I have known the people in that painting all of my life and much of theirs. All of the detail in the picture is significant. You see the thousand-footer heading into Dick's ear so you know what town they lived in. They've both died now in the last 5 years. What a cool thing.