Thursday, May 6, 2010

Evolution of the Human Animal: Part I

A funny and embarrassing thing happened at work yesterday, kind of nasty but mostly funny. I was standing up in the bathroom stall, thinking hard about the tangled code pretzel I had been working on all morning, and trying to tuck my undershirt back in without tucking in my shirt or sweatshirt with it. The sweatshirt complication throwing off my rhythm possibly. Open the door and step out towards the sink, just as a coworker is coming in and we exchange nods. As I get to the sink, I see him head into the stall, and I realize that I forgot to flush. I immediately hear the flush and I consider yelling out an apology, but it seems too weird, and there are others in the room, so I don't. I wash and go back to my desk.

We have all probably done that - but the key difference being that we were not immediately aware that we did. - And we also probably did not know - let alone work with - the person, that we caused to wonder about us before they sat down.

I thought about saying something later, but that also seemed weird so I didn't. Today when talking to him about work stuff, I search his eyes to see if he's thinking about it. Maybe wondering if I did it on purpose. Or perhaps he isn't thinking about it at all. Or maybe he always will the rest of the time we know each other. Or maybe only I will.

2 comments:

queasyfish said...

So, ah, ya, anyway...

queasyfish said...

ten points if you can name the guy, second-from-right.