Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Note to the plumbers in my basement.

Travis;

Regarding the in-the-wall diverter: this item is special order at Home Depot, Menards and Lowe’s. No one carries it. Now you know.

So I guess we’ll just skip it and not install a hand-held shower head.

Regarding the “Rough-in Valve”: no plumbing employee at any of the big-box stores I visited or called had any idea what a “rough-in valve” was. After spending two hours driving and calling I went home and learned from the internet that a “rough-in valve” is the technical name for the back of the shower water/temperature control.

My advice would be that instead of telling Joe-homeowner that he needs to get you a “rough-in valve”, tell him that you need the “shower hardware” or “temperature-controller” or at least make sure they understand that they just need to go to any home store and pick out the shower head and handle that they want to install because you need “the back part of it”.

You should probably give them more than one day’s notice too.

Those things aside, it looks like you guys are doing a good job – that’s a hell of a task, I’m glad I didn’t seriously consider doing it myself.

Thanks
John

3 comments:

Heath said...

This is a project in my future too. Hope all goes well.

queasyfish said...

I did of course print and leave this note for the plumbers in my basement - you understood that right? - this wasn't just a fantasy.

They're done, they did a great job. Communication was necessary but easy. Very soon I'm going to have a sweet Dwell/Japanese walk-in rain-shower. With toilet and (probably mini-) sink.

The hard part is done. Happy.

Randy said...

Plumbers like to use fancy words like lavs and water closets, rough-in valves etc. :) Should have called me. The finished pics look nice. Did you do any of the tile or anything?