Sunday, November 2, 2008

Coffin Daggers at the Hex

You guys missed something good tonight - The Coffin Daggers from NY - they were original. "Surf mixed with punk"- according to the guitarist (who looked much older in person), in his thick New York accent. What I heard was pulsing instrumental surf mixed with Psychocandy feedback, Unforgettable Fire delay and White Stripes attitude. They were great. Steve and I were convinced that the guitarist and keyboardist were on heroin - literally, I'm not kidding they looked like they were falling asleep during the show but they seemed normal after. The guy had a theremin and he could play it - viva Jimmy Page! -and also a vintage tape echo - you could see him reach back and hit the button and everything would start to swirl.

In over four years of frequently going to surf night it was the best band I've seen play with them yet.

2 comments:

Heath said...

I was almost there.

queasyfish said...

I figured out where they got their name tonight. They did the mash.