Thursday, December 8, 2011

So a week ago I went in for my every-so-often physical and to investigate why I've been extra winded for the past week whenever even slightly exerting. Did some testing, went to the ER and did some more testing, then checked-in overnight to start medication for the large blood clots on my lungs. Pulmonary embolism that's called and since it didn't instantly kill me, I'm guessing it's going to make me stronger.

Yes, yes, it's all too bad, and I'm so young and healthy. I know. Sounds like I'm going to be fine in the long run, perhaps even better than fine - I wonder if I've had this to some degree for a while, perhaps years? There's gotta be some reason I'm always gasping when we ride, other than hard pedaling then and laziness before, right? (I think that's a joke) Well, whatever.

Examining my thoughts as I always do I realized a couple things. I felt very calm about the prospect of dying (I don't know that I was, but it sounded like one of the options on the table - the ER doc looked me in the eye and said that her friend had just died of it). There was a sad shadow for my kids and their lives, but for myself, it was acceptance and calm. It's what you do after living I guess. The other thought was that It didn't seem to have taken very long to get to here, at least from the point-of-view of this moment. It's always a continuum, so there isn't really an end-point to see the perspective from, but in that pause I could see it, and it seemed to have been pretty short. I remembered a lot of things I'd done, but they all seemed to blend together into last week and last year. And it was "now" and it was done.

So, that being said, I feel pretty good, possibly better than I have in a while. The only downside is that alcohol is also a blood thinner and I could really go for a beer or six.

7 comments:

Heath said...

How long is the treatment?

SeanH said...

Dude!
What Heath said.
What is the game plan for dealing with this? I am stunned.

SeanH said...

BTW-As grim as your post is, the picture is now making me laugh.

queasyfish said...

You're stunned? Six months. The medication prevents further clotting, the body will naturally dissolve the existing clots. As of yesterday the pill-form was at a high enough level to stop the injections (self-administered in the stomach, ugh). One pill a day is the entire game plan. -well that and not doing things that may cause bleeding, like biking, snowboarding, beer, hammering, sawing, drilling... I guess that leaves sleeping and computers.

Jared said...

"not doing things that may cause bleeding, like biking, snowboarding, beer, hammering, sawing, drilling..."
So you did actually die and are now in hell.

I think they should have said you can take blood thinner in a pill form or in alcohol form.

I think your calm about death is a positive benefit from being courages enough to not avoid it at other time.

I am glad you are not dead, I very much value you being alive and hope you live a long life that is almost as long as mine.

I would like to help in any way I can.

queasyfish said...

Thanks guys, I just wanted to tell you.

Randy said...

Wow John. Hope all goes well. Did the doc say what the cause is? Pointy guitars maybe? :)