Friday, October 31, 2008

Band Review: Thin Lizzy (1969 - 1983)


I love music. I listen to as much as I can. And new music too. I push myself to listen to new stuff I haven't heard before, mostly current, some old. You know how there's bands that, when they're current and big, you never listen to them, you avoid them, almost on purpose. Knowing that someday you'll get into them, and listen to their whole catalog - and probably like them a lot? I love that.

Then some bands, you've heard their name for years but 've never heard their music. Back in the earliest days of the NWBOHM, I'd always heard the name "Thin Lizzy" (mostly next to UFO) but never heard their music - except the few radio songs (for example "Jailbreak" you know: dun don - du-dut) . They seemed to be on the "lighter" -slash- classic-hard-rock-ish side of the spectrum and I was mostly on the heavier side then. UFO of course being one of my favorite bands pretty much of all time though, I had to give TL a try sooner or later. About a year ago I grabbed most of their catalog and started checking them out.

They totally rock - Phil Lynott is a great singer. You see why they were compared to UFO: total story-songs about the pain and ecstacy of love and life on the street. Great catchy songs - cool themes. I think my favorite album is Black Rose. I remember when Lynott died back in 1986 (at 37), reading Kerrang magazine some people saying "fuck him he was a herion addict" and others saying he was a genius. Twenty years later It seems they were both right. There's an outdoor statue of him in his home-town Dublin Ireland, like our Mary Tyler Moore downtown.

What do you mean you don't know UFO? - "lights out, lights out in London, hold on tight til' the end, better now you know we'll never, wait until tomorrow..."

0 comments: