Friday, October 24, 2008

Album Review: Witchcraft - Firewood - 2005

The Ipod's always churning at work, occasionally something jumps out. Whenever I listen to Witchcraft - a band I stumbled on in the last couple years - I think of old Ozzy-Sabbath. There are a bunch of similarities from catchy heavy-groovy riffs to neo-clean distortion tones ala vintage equipment only. Today as I listened, a completely new and shockingly obvious influence came to mind, I couldn't believe I hadn't though of it earlier.

It's completely like Frost and Fire era Cirith Ungol... ok like their first album Frost and Fire (1980 - yes 1980!) which was unique in their carreer mainly due to Greg Lindstrom their guitarist (one of two) and main songwriter: super catchy tunes. Introspective and self deprecating lyrics - sort of 70's-Sabbath meets Curt Cobain for the early-80's metal set. Their next album totally changed directions and lost all of the subtlety and intelligence, not a terrible album but a completely different conversation. Anyway, Lindstrom was the driving force and he wrote these super-catchy, but still heavy, songs - like sing-em-for-days songs or in my case for-years-songs. He then left the band to become a recording engineer. To this day Frost and Fire is a great album - top 10 80's metal albums of all time, for me, for sure.

and Witchcraft is like that - if not exactly in sound, at least in spirit, check 'em out. I'm dead serious. Witchcraft - Firewood.

0 comments: