Saturday, November 22, 2014

Cobra Fist

I told myself I would buy them as soon as I saw them next year.  Hub had them. There is a drawstring cuff around the wrist and upper and lower zips with internal pulls.  CobraFist!

Proper installation instructions would have been:

1.  Take any existing bar end plugs out.
2,  Unzip the neoprene cuff , slide it onto the bar and RE-ZIP IT.
3.  Get the right sized wrench for the inside of the new bar end plug - cause adjusting this part sucks.

4.  Put the new bar end plug through the grommet, then put your wrench-hand inside the pogie and crank it tighter until the rubber end barely fits into the bar - cause it will be too big for the grommet long before it will be too big for the bar.  Come to think of it,  you may want to do that before you put the pogie on the bar.

I consider this a product defect in fact,  the rubber grommets may be better holding than quickly-expanding volcano cone-shaped tighteners when finally installed but the installation of them sucks. I expect more from you Quality.  When it is close to sticking inside the bar, crank it a few more times stuff it and tighten it as best you can.  Fail.

5.  The Zipped cuff foam stiffener instructions suck too.  You already re-zipped and velcro'd the cuffs after you put them on right? - cause you need to do that FIRST despite what the instructions say.  Now slowly stuff the positioned foam into the zipped cuff to create an air seal.

WTF 45NRTH?

6 comments:

queasyfish said...

Grip Studs installed last night too. Quickly with slow speed drill and fine tuning hand tool. J-rad and I are going to split another hundred pack. Some for tires and some for boots and other stuff...

Jared said...

I just use a hand tool for the whole install seems very fast. Bummer about the install of the cobra's. One other concern I have for you is that I take mine on and off repeatedly during the season depending on how cold it is and what kind of ride I am doing. My Dogwood Designs are floppy but on and off in seconds.

Jared said...

I wonder if you have the old or new and if it matters in relation to your experience. http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/07/25/45nrth-introduces-fasterkatt-road-shoes-updates-other-boots-cobrafist-pogies/

queasyfish said...

I see your point, that kind of sucks. They'ed be pretty quick with correct instructions for zipper and foam and quick-grab bar plugs though. They do feel confined, I wish they were bigger. bad year to buy them probably. Fuck. They'll be great for camera fingers.

queasyfish said...

I saw the Revelate lighter ones at Catfish this evening they were way sleeker and sexier, and looked like they'd work great to only a few degrees less than the 45ers. Do I regret? Not necessarily.

queasyfish said...

Well, it seemed easy to put them on this year.