Sunday, August 1, 2010

Bike Weekend - Saturday

I called Harbor Freight again on Saturday and learned that not only did they still not have the cheap digital hanging scale in stock, they never do because it's on-line only. That sucks. The last two times I was at Fleet Farm they were out of their version too. Damn, I wanted to weigh my bikes today! There has to be a way to use my nice digital package scale, but how?

This is how. A simple wooden dowel screwed to an off-set platform (or if you don't have a dowel you can make one by slowly rotating a square piece against your spinning table saw blade :)). Flip it over, clamp it into your work stand, and put the scale on top. Put the nose of your saddle on the center of the scale and let the bike dangle underneath, the offset keeping the bike clear of the stand. Weighed every bike in the garage. Next, the metal version.

Madone: 18 lbs 12 oz. Mercian 21 lbs 9 oz. 1x1: 27 lbs 8 oz. Cross Check: 29 lbs 9 oz. Tall bike: 32 lbs 1 oz. FSR: 32 lbs 8 oz. Wait for it. Wait for it. RM6: 44 lbs 7 oz.

1 comments:

Jared said...

Super solution. I can't believe the RM 6 is that heavy.