Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pugsley is Dead - Long Live Pugsley

I just borrowed Jared's fat tires for two weeks and took several good rides on snow and ice and crusty mounds and deep drifts and I liked it. -but not enough. Not this year. Riding on winter streets, traveling to winter destinations, are not tasks I would choose a Pugs for. Riding on crusty, jagged, frozen sand-dune snow piles are. Riding on packed snow trails would be too. Would it get me out more in the winter? Maybe. Thanks again Jared, for turning me on to it.

The last few years the bike I spend the most time on is my steel fixed gear - road bike. Clipless pedals, shellacked cloth-tape mustache bars (for sweaty, grippy, gloveless riding), and one 42x13 gear. It's fun to smoke other riders isn't it? I love mountain riding too - but I think a new set of Nevegal 2.3's is going to satisfy all needs in that department this year.

I don't have, and have never had a true race-light, gear-shifting, road bike.

That above is the new-school champion (2010) Trek Madone (5.1) - carbon dream bike. Full Ultegra with Bontrager bladed-spoke wheels. It's the third model from the bottom actually, yes really. 3.4 retail, Steve says less than 2, maybe hundreds less. Confirmed my size (58) at Freewheel tonight - pretty amazing in person. Tell me why I shouldn't.

4 comments:

queasyfish said...

Don't forget to click the pic, it's a fat one, dl'd directly from the Trek site.

SeanH said...

Less than 2???? How can you NOT?

Pull that trigger!

queasyfish said...

Ya, it's 16 plus tax. I could always turn it into a fixie if it sucked. or sell it. for a profit...

and get a Capricorn.

queasyfish said...

Ya, if it sucked, that's funny.