Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ghosting Windows 7 with Acronis

Ghosted one Dell gx520 to two others with Acronis 2010 the other night. Backed it up on to an old 20 gig IDE drive, worked perfectly. Except for one thing. Ok, this is approximate because I'm not looking at it now, this was a few days ago. After Acronis restore it reported a MBR error on boot. Put the W7 disc in, choose my language and then to FIX rather than install. Auto-fix checked it and suggested I reboot (did NOT show a Windows installation instance on the screen behind), which I did. So, then. Same scenario; choose language, then fix. This time is sees the install, choose next, choose the obvious boot fix choice at the top. Run. Reboot. Fixed. RTM build 7600.

1 comments:

queasyfish said...

Realized the other day that I was making it too hard. I could have just copied my active windows install to a new drive and made it bootable. So rather than backing it up and and transferring it again, I could have just copied it directly to the destination drive. Duh.