Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Story of Anvil

Watched this tonight. Very entertaining. Riveting in fact, even for people who don't like hard rock. A very good documentary. I was well ready to not like it, but it was great. I love Canadians too.

I once made a compilation tape called instrumetal with all of the best instrumental songs from all of my favorite metal bands. This is like 1983. Anvil's 1982 Metal on Metal track: March of the Crabs fit right in next to Cirith Ungol's Maybe that's why, Def Leppard's Switch 625 and Metallica's Call of Cuthulu.

This documentary really doesn't have as much to do with their music as it does with life's choices and the world of people we swirl around and past every day.

2 comments:

SeanH said...

I read about that movie in Newsweek a while back. Is it out on video now?

They were at the Uptown theater in may: http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/44721142.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU

queasyfish said...

I don't know if it's on video yet, I think what I saw may have been a "screener" (pre-released for critical review).

Like I said, I wasn't expecting much, but found it thoroughly enjoyable. The human drama was captivating, I kept finding myself leaning forward in my chair.