Thursday, April 30, 2009

WebcamXP for Blogger - Streaming Video

Pretty cool eh?

You guys remember when we were messing with the web cams a while back? I just started working on WebcamXP again, with adding it to my blog as a goal - it's really easy to do as it turns out.

The newest version of WebcamXP seems to use significantly less CPU to run, and it's free now too. Still seems to have relatively poor documentation and a somewhat confusing interface - but lots of features for the more advanced user. Get your camera working in Windows, install WebcamXP, and you can probably figure it out. Check your right-click options.

Once it's working - you will be able to click the bottom link: "http online..." and see your cam on a web page (with your pc as the server) - once you can; go to Tools/Generate HTML, (take the defaults) and copy the code. Go to blogger and "add a gadget - HTML/Javascript gadget". Paste the code, save and view.

I did a good little bit of searching for streaming/video/Blogger/webcam/etc, didn't find a thing. Have you ever seen a blog with streaming video? I didn't think so. Rock star.




...Maybe not so Rock Star; overnight it crashed my internet connectivity, rebooted router, still not fixed, wonder if Comcast is involved? - going to have to investigate tonight...

Offline again at the moment...


And it's back... Frickin' Comcast...

4 comments:

Jared said...

When it works it is super cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Q,

If this happened last night at exactly 12:00 am. Same thing happened to me. I was able to get my internet working by connecting th cable modem directly to my computer and restarting. I still can't get me router to work. Its weird and comcast has a message about some type of problem..

queasyfish said...

Thanks G - good to know it wasn't (just) me. I emailed you my solution. Frickin' Comcast.

queasyfish said...

I must say, I am enjoying taking a break from work and sitting in my back yard for a few minutes on this apparently beautiful day...