Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dropbox File Transfer Is Good.


For god sakes post something new.

Ok, well, let’s see…

I discovered a couple of ways for easily transferring files across the internet...

You may have noticed on a couple of recent rants - since Morphine where it started - that there have been links to downloads in my posts. Not websites, but downloads. Click the link and the pop-up asks you were to save the file - And also a couple where you click it and it asks to launch your music player to play a song directly. You probably didn’t notice them...

There’s an application called Dropbox that Sean was asking me to set up to work on a file with him. The plans changed before we got there and I didn’t install it. But I later went back and checked it out - this was a fairly large file we were going to move in the original plan...

Once it’s set up (free and easy), there’s a folder (the Public folder inside of the main one) on your desktop that you put files in, any files, like an MP3, or a 700 MB movie -Yes really- You put the file into the folder, then right click it (the file) and choose Dropbox/Copy Public Link. Done. Then you paste it into an email or embed it into a webpage and when the recipient clicks the link it downloads, or plays.

If you check the link right away it gives you an error message, give it a bit, It did work. Two gigs of space free, more available cheap.

The other discovery is that you can easily transfer files with RDP too. Start/Run/MSTSC/Options/Local Resources – Drives. I guess I haven’t tried it across the internet yet, but it works great on my network. Drag and drop.


It's international Wales day today. Yes the country.

2 comments:

queasyfish said...

It was actually yesterday, the 24th.

Heath said...

I got lost in the technofog of posting something new,

but, I've been to Wales, which was foggy too.


Jared sorry for the poetry, I'll explain it to you in words you understand.