Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A bit of good news: RiverLake Greenway

Last weekend I had some time so I grabbed a coffee and a sandwich at Mayday and did a little alley crawling in the old neighborhood, yes in the car. It seemed about the same; some property improvements, some houses now boarded, many in disrepair with broken cars in the yards and garbage cans overflowing. Looks like the kids had been staying extra busy with the spray painting. The Longfellow house looked pretty much the same. The alley too; with a few hole-punched, hollow-core doors dumped by the city gate, but otherwise still relatively spray-paint free. This next summer will be two years since we moved. I'm sure glad we don't live there any more.

The only thing we knew we were going to miss was the Midtown Greenway: only a block and a half away. It was so great to have that highway to Uptown, the lakes, the road and mountain trails, and the river, just around the corner. The streets are quieter where we are now so riding to the trail isn't a deal-breaker, but it's not the same...

This flyer came in the mail today. Unbelieveably, in 2010 they are going to create a new "Greenway" - exactly what, I'll find out in February - at the end of our block, running from the lakes to the river. Not a block and a half away, a half a block away. I heart Minneapolis.

7 comments:

SeanH said...

That is very cool news. I would be able to bike from my place to yours with only a couple of blocks on "nontrail" involved!

queasyfish said...

Really? - that's cool.

Heath said...

The more trails the better. How far west is the green way plowed?

queasyfish said...

I guess that's true, but I wouldn't really care if it was a mile away. Did I mention that it's at the end of my block?...

Jared said...

That is super great John. Is it the whole street or a bike lane or something else?

queasyfish said...

I don't know, I guess I'll have to go to the meeting to see. It's a fully functional street at this point. Seems like it's got to be more than just a bike lane for them to call it a "greenway".

ESTONBACH said...

I wonder if they're going to convert the current Greenway to LRT in the future?