Friday, September 26, 2008

Opeth at Myth

Tomorrow night I'm going to see my current favorite band Opeth (Coheed & Cambria are coming on strong though) at the Myth in Maplewood, a state-of-the-art multi-million dollar venue that I've never been to. I was trying to remember what the last concert I've been to was. -not counting Steve's band. - I can't. It was years ago...

Opeth seriously kicks ass. It's a mix of great non-traditional songwriting, heavy modern groovy riffs with dreamy pulsing and swirling interludes, and great musician-ship. They write songs where the second half of the song doesn't play any riffs from the first half - wicked. The guy... that guy in fact, in the front there with the mustache is the singer/guitar player/song writer; Mikael Ã…kerfeldt. He's a total fan and noted collector of obscure 70's and 80's Progressive rock - and he writes songs like it - totally album-oriented music; sit down and listen to the whole thing. But it's also wicked Metal. They're from Stockholm Sweden, part of the "Gothenburg sound" sub-subdivision of metal.

I'm psyched.

Just couldn't pay $13.50 in Ticketm**ter fees for an $18.50 ticket - fuck that. Called today, $23 at the door and they don't expect to sell out (it's a big place I hear). I bet the drinks are expensive. Going by myself as usual.

0 comments: