Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A fucked up thing happened this morning.  I got up early,  felt good,  had just jumped on the highway well ahead of the rush and all of a sudden the cars are all braking.  Several pull over to the left and the rest of us crawl forward.  Then a couple cars up I spot something on the close edge of the carpool lane on my left.  We crawl closer.  It can't be.  It is.  I can't help but stare at the rag-doll'd body on the pavement outside my open window. So fresh there isn't any blood yet. Seconds old.  I pass the stopped cars as two crying women emerge from the first.  Traffic picks up and I zombie to work stunned.  Forty five minutes later the internet says the bridge jumper never hesitated,  she just climbed the fence and let go.

I though about a lot of different things today.  Thought about people I know, people I love and people I don't know. I thought about the selfishness of the jumper and the lives she affected and I wondered if she thought about those people too - was it one final fuck you or did she just need to get out now?

1 comments:

queasyfish said...

Thinking about it the rest of the week, in my mind's eye's memory - picturing how it must have been, she plugged her nose and jumped facing South letting the fates take their course, her back to traffic. Putting all the mental pieces together I realized that I viewed her corpse in the shadow of the bridge. Meaning she jumped facing North into oncoming traffic, possibly picking her target.