Saturday, December 1, 2012

Northbound Smokehouse and Brewpub


I went to this Kickstarter success for the first time tonight, now about two months since opening day. This is a cool-people place - all hipsters and locals, and they did an excellent job rehabbing the building.  It's standing-room only any evening I drive by - very warm and inviting,  in fact they are looking to expand as demand has out-paced supply since day-one.  The food looked really good too.

I appear to be alone in my opinion that their flagship IPA "Big Jim" and its "American-hopped" style isn't very good.  I really wanted to like it,  I ordered it twice but found myself making faces at the strange flavors in my glass.  The Indeed Haywire (heavy double-IPA) also on tap, seemed a bright, bubbly palate cleanser by comparison.  I'll be back though,  hundreds of hipsters and locals can't be wrong.

2 comments:

queasyfish said...

38th and nearly Hiawatha.

queasyfish said...

Went there last week randomly on a free hour, Had a Big Jim and a pale, the Big Jim which I didn't enjoy last time was pretty good, I must have had some crazy batch. Or maybe I'm a crazy batch, not sure. Pale was ok. The soup was good, should have ordered the bowl. Bartender was friendly and good looking, I'll be back again. ...um, to my gaining-favor near-neighborhood bar. Smokehouse...