Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Best Gas Grill?


So, I stepped out the other night to sizzle-up some steaks and my grill kind of grossed me out. The inside-cover paint is pealing-off in large blisters now as the result of too many flare-ups. It's dirty, and the grates that I've tried to keep oiled over the years are finally rusting. But mostly, the thing just doesn't heat up enough anymore. I've had it for like 6 years now I would say - the nice Coleman cover made a big difference I bet.

So what does anybody have for feature, or specific-model recommendations? Two schools of thought it sounds like: best quality grill for 5 years (for X) or best quality grill for 10 years (for XX-to-XXX), spend your money now or spend it later. I'm leaning towards cheaper, but if there was a 20-year grill I'd consider it.

Fuck it, I'll just get that one.

9 comments:

queasyfish said...

It's a Char-Broil, which looks to be my new front-runner too.

Jared said...

I went back to charcoal and am glad I did. What made it OK again is the cheap availability of real lump charcoal, the ash sweepers to get the ash out of the bottom of the grill are now big and actually work quickly and easily and the ash now is deposited in a pot like thing on the bottom that is big and easy to empty. Real charcoal is way hotter and a dryer heat than gas. This is my grill. I like all the features but the three noted above are the big ones. http://www.weber.com/explore/grills/performer-series/performer-2

If you go gas I think going as small of a grill area as possible (not fewest burners)to meet your needs is important. Otherwise you are just wasting gas heating up a giant grill to cook a few burgers.

queasyfish said...

Wow, back to charcoal, I would not have thought...

Jared said...

Crappy charcoal and difficult ash removal were the only thing that really drove me from it in the first place. These issues have been resolved.

queasyfish said...

Easy, quick start-up with that LP igniter?

Jared said...

I use my chimney and paper as often as I use the LP igniter or sometimes I use them all together.
Although I like my grills table, charcoal bin, lid holder and igniter they are very minor compared to the benefit of the ash things.

queasyfish said...

I've really been pondering this idea and I appreciate the detail Jared. Thinking back to the charcoal days; I never really had any issues with the ash removal, and if you're saying the gas ignition isn't any more convenient than a charcoal-starter-chimney, I'm not really sure this is the way for me to go. Your reminder of the "every time" set-up and cleaning requirements is a fact. It's as expensive as a nice "5 year" gas grill ($300+) - and even with its new features, still two steps more of a pain-in-the-ass. My inner-chef says yes, but he's got a lot more time on his hands.

queasyfish said...

The answer is clear now, base model Weber Genesis - over twice as expensive as the next model but after lifting covers and gratings there really is no comparison. I think I want green but I've seen the bronze and it looks good. Or black of course. Thanks G.

queasyfish said...

I actually bought a Ducane 4200 (made by Weber) at Lowes for more than - damn is that really the price now? Unbelievable deal.