Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Free Bikes 4 Kids

This is a good thing - a volunteer program that seeks bicycle donations, to fix up and redistribute for Christmas presents to poor kids. This year they have apparently received so many donations that they are reaching out to the public to come help them tune and clean to have their stock ready for the big morning. I'm not really a joiner of anything but I have done this for the neighborhood kids where I've lived for years, and one of the locations is the midtown Freewheel/Nice Ride which is convenient, so maybe it would be fun to get involved.

Even considering that many if not most of the bikes will be immediately trashed or stolen (and trashed) - or most likely: didn't get pumped up and got a flat tire and were never used again as no one is spending $5 on a tube, if even ten percent were appreciated and used that would be good. Imagine a city where generations of children, if they had nothing else, had access to a working bicycle.

1 comments:

queasyfish said...

I've done this twice now (thanks employer) and I plan to continue every year.

Last year I demonstrated my skills to the mechanic leaders by quickly walking around the huge sectioned and stringed-off warehouse of good condition low-end late model mountain bikes and 70's road bikes and picking out an 80's aluminum race bike with Shimano 600 on it.

I brought it over to the tune-up room and they were like; you got that out of the warehouse?

After that I got to pick my tasks from the "good bikes" room.