Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Well, I talked to Steve again today, about bikes. Prices and wait times. Parts, colors, specs, choices. As Steve said; Madone is the most popular road bike in the world and I'm sure he's right. It seems to be coming down to three choices. Madone 5.1 in white: 1600 bucks, two months wait. 5.2 in black: 1850 and just over one month. 5.2 + custom paint - pictured previously: 2250, 4 to 5 month wait.

The 5.1 makes sense because I kind of like the white paint better than the 5.2's black. Not a lot better though. 5.2 has a "better" (read: lighter) wheelset and a different fork-spec. Which are things I don't necessarily want, but it's a month quicker, and those are good things, right?

Here's a funny thing, I've never actually ridden one, and aside from Jared's a million years ago, I've never ridden a carbon bike at all. And I'm planning to spend 2K on it. And I hate the - yes tasteful - but still: racer graphics and huge logos. I think I would have paid $600 extra to not have them. but not in four to five months. I don't really want any of them, enough, I guess.

I think what I really want is a white Steamroller with vintage Azonic Doublewalls, Brooks, sweet cranks, wicked wheelset, perhaps new pedals and shoes... these thoughts flame my passion. I think I could ride that as fast as any bike.

Thank you for coming on this journey with me.

4 comments:

SeanH said...

Sure, get the inferior bike so you don't upset your hipster aesthetic. ;)

SeanH said...

I wonder what a Fuel EX would cost in Steve dollars?

queasyfish said...

No no no, It's not like that. I just want to get a bike that I will ride, not just to impress the others in my gated community.

queasyfish said...

Ask him, I'm sure he would.