Sunday, January 17, 2010

Windows 7 rocks on mediocre hardware.

been f**king with with the computer(s) all weekend - god damned audio drivers, and alternating between 7 on older hardware and XP on newer hardware. I'm switching - 7 is better - looking and running. Much better at managing resources: Despite the lowly 2.8 rating (of how many 7 features will be in use) it doesn't run slow at all, it restarts much faster than the quad-core 2.3 with XP, and is generally quite snappy. On new hardware it will be even way better yet. I'm biting the bullet and reinstalling.

Go Vikings!

4 comments:

queasyfish said...

Yes, those are extra-large icons, I like 'em. Those rings are wacky, I don't see those; I think that was first usage of Printkey before reboot.

Everything's where you'd expect it to be OS-wise, It's good. It's definitely more intuitive. I was railing on it tonight: video, music, picture thumbnails, picture preview, web - the music isn't skipping; the new request waits it seems. Nice. This is the older 1.7 single-core, 1.5 gig hardware now... "quad-core" means there's actually four 2.3 processors.

I could install in 64 on the new box, I think I might.

queasyfish said...

Jared, I'm drinking your beer tomorrow if I don't hear otherwise - sorry G I tried; two full weeks is a good long time. and it's so, chocolaty...

queasyfish said...

and of course I have a easy-installing, perfectly-working Windows 7 Ultimate for anyone who sends me a mailing address. queasyfish at the dot com that ends with two letter o's. mention the blog in the subject line. If you're not a friend of a friend, tell me an interesting story about the world and your place in it.

queasyfish said...

The default Windows Media Player is perfect.