Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day Dads - you are so lucky!



Father's Day weekend. The weekend I spend hours away from my family, in the woods, with the other fathers. This year's version seemed to have a few more arrow-destroying tree branch shoot-though's, but I didn't break any more than usual.

It was a year ago this week that I got laid off (having started this blog, only days before). This weekend was also an emotional roller coaster that didn't leave me much time to reflect on the distance and change of the past twelve months much though.

It started on Friday going out with my coworkers, always a fun time - and they are officially my coworkers now as of about three weeks ago - congratulations to me. I've gone out with them maybe 5, 6 times and it's always fun. It's too fun in fact, and I stayed out much too late for an early morning archery shoot. No doubt, impressed them by driving home too. The shoot was fun though and my slowed mind was just about right for casually walking though the woods and concentrating without over-thinking the shots. Driving home after I felt relaxed and tired, looking forward to a shower and possibly a quick nap. Just about home, highway traffic is stopping suddenly, looks like an accident just ahead, kind of looks like our... phone rings, kathleen's shaky voice says "I was just in an accident". Oh my god.

Race around the stopped cars and up to the van. Jump out. Just seconds after. Everyone is ok. Scared, crying, bruised, burned from the seat belt straps. Stunned and sore from the airbags. - but ok. The window is broken, the engine is crushed back, the van is totalled. The quick-stopping Hummer in front of it is mostly fine. 25 minutes later we drive home to our house and go inside. I'm feeling lucky and thankful, the van doesn't matter at all.

Later, Kathleen and I tuck the kids into bed and retire early. Wake up to home-made gifts and morning ride freedom while the rest walk off to the park. Standing in the garage putting my helmet on, phone rings. It's Katie. "Maeve's hurt, we have to go to the hospital". "Where's mom? - let me talk to her", "She can't she's carying Maeve". Running to the house, running to the car. Maeve crashed off of the equipment and split her chin. Driving to the ER. Bleeding has stopped now. Checking, reassessing. We know there's nothing they will do that we can't do. Divert to Wallgreens for supplies, and home.

In the big picture these things are small; I feel tired, but everyone is ok, and that's all that matters. We'll all be starting a new week together, tomorrow ...in just a few, short, hours.

3 comments:

queasyfish said...

It's official now; the van is totaled. -and we're not going to get much for it.

Heath said...

Wow!

Anonymous said...

2 incidents? Hope your all ok...