Saturday, August 2, 2008

Scorpions Powermad Carcass Jesus and Mary Chain

The first concert that I ever went to was Judas Priest at the Duluth Arena, January 1983 - Screaming for Vengeance tour, still one of the best and most memorable concerts I've ever seen. I remember standing in line waiting for the doors to open with all of the burnouts and rockers; denim jackets and shoulder-length mullets, blue collar, KQDS-hard-rockers all the way. Nobody in early 80's Duluth listened to metal or looked metal, my small circle of friends were the only people I knew who listened to metal, and we didn't look metal - Judas Priest themselves in full Leather and studs - then defining the stereotypical look - seemed to be from the planet: Metal by comparison...

Anyway, there was this guy, probably just a few years older than me, obviously drunk; slow and groggy, looking for a place to sit down - to the mumbled cheers and jeers of the rest of the line. He finally sits down on the floor and moments later passes out. The cops are there seems like instantly. As they shake him to wake him, he pukes a river all down his jacket and onto the floor. The line roars with amused repulsion and the cop grabs the still sleeping guy by the back of his collar and drags him out the door to his car leaving a glossy trail across the polished stone floor. I kept thinking; what an idiot he's going to miss the whole show.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Man! I remember that Saxon show. Biff wore your jacket. One of the guys from Powermad is a head honcho at Surly beer.

I also remember you telling me how Motorhead essentially deafened you at 1st Ave.

Is that a Krokus/Dokken ticket cut off on the right?

queasyfish said...

Motorhead was super loud, I really couldn't tell what song they were playing at any point - it was like all white noise. I was going to Augsburg at the time and was later calling a dorm-mate for a ride home (you remember Rhonda don't you Sean? ;)) and it was like I was talking to Mickey Mouse, it took days to recover my hearing.


Yes Krokus! That Ozzy show was Speak of the Devil tour wasn't it?